Fresh corn is one of my favorite things about summer. This recipe is a nice change from your everyday corn on the cob – it reminds me of Mexican grilled corn, but less messy. This recipe serves four as a side, and could be easily doubled or tripled to make a great addition to a summer barbecue. We had on its own for dinner – the entire recipe was perfect for two.
Tim and I have two tropical vacations coming up (Maui in September, and the Florida Keys in November), and I can’t get vacation style out of my head. Here’s how I’d style Warby Parker’s new Nancy sunglasses (above, in lemon) from day to night.
Day: For our Maui trip, one of the things I’m looking forward to most is lounging poolside. This outfit would get me from the room to the pool in style, and I love that the yellow accent on the tote compliments the sunny frames.
Night: For everyday, I usually stick to neutrals – think tortoiseshell sunglasses, gray v-necks, and gold jewelry – but something about being on vacation makes me gravitate toward a more colorful wardrobe. Along with the yellow Warby Parker shades, this dress and earrings would be the perfect pop of color for a sunset cocktail hour on the water.
Have you shopped Nordstrom’s Annual Sale yet? This is a great time to stock up on any investment pieces you’ve been eyeing. Here are some of my favorite picks.
- Frye “Molly” Boots: A great investment at $280 – Frye boots last forever.
- Pleione Blouse: Comes in 12 colors – a great basic for $37. Short sleeve, printed version here for $29.
- Kate Spade Teardrop Stud Earrings: Comes in 5 colors, and would go with everything. $25.
- Trina Turk One-Piece: Gorgeous pattern and style. $89.
- Michael Kors Watch: This and other styles are included in the sale. This one is $75 off at $150. Take a look at the Kate Spade and Marc Jacobs options, too.
- Kate Spade Lottie Pump: Really wishing I could justify these! $219.
- Michael Kors Jet Set Tote: This line is the best for travel; comes in 5 colors. $152.
When Tim and I went to Greece a few years ago (mini-recap here, here, and here), we couldn’t get enough grilled, baked, and fried cheese. The cheeses were mostly halloumi and feta, but I never thought to try to recreate grilled feta at home until recently. Cheeses like these are perfect for grilling because they don’t melt. Instead, they soften and hold their shape. This makes for a unique vegetarian addition to a barbecue, and I recommend trying it out next time you fire up the grill.
Happy Independence Day Weekend! I hope you eat lots of strawberry shortcake, spend time on the water, and enjoy the fireworks and an extra day off work with your loved ones. Here’s what to wear!
Sometimes it’s hard for me to commit to salad after a long day when all I really want to do is binge eat a comforting bowl of pasta, but I love a good stone fruit salad once summer rolls around. (Check out last year’s apricot and burrata deliciousness here). For this one, I used the Kirkland brand of blue cheese from Costco, which I was incredibly impressed with. The honey vinaigrette comes together in just a couple minutes, making this a low-maintenance dinner for a hot summer night.
Recipe after the jump!
This is the halfway point of my year of the Five Piece French Wardrobe (take a look at all my posts here), and I’m honestly loving it. Putting actual thought into my purchases – and holding myself accountable via my blog – has been life-changing, especially when it comes to getting ready in the morning.
- Investment: I’m in love with my new Coach Utopia Flats (why yes, those are lobsters). They also come in gold, as mentioned here. (P.S. They’re on sale!)
- Basics: I’ve decided this year that linen tees are my favorite thing, and Madewell’s Linen Timeoff Tee is no exception. I also purchased these white jeans after a friend’s recommendation (Thanks, Kristen!). With all the time I spend in the kitchen – not to mention a lot of hands-on tasks at work – I’ve always been hesitant about dropping a lot of money on white jeans. This pair is really soft, the fit is great, and the best part is they’re on sale for only $32.40.
- I totally cheated this month (shoes are supposed to count), with this pair of DV sandals that are on sale for $35 (50% off). Worth it – I absolutely love how they look, and they’re perfect for everyday.
Take a look at all my Five Piece French Wardrobe posts here.
My friend and coworker, Shannon, recently made a Pinterest board which I believe she described as her “if someone made me spend $1000 on clothes today” wish list. With that inspiration in mind, I created a $1000 wish list of my dream summer wardrobe.
Raise.com is a new site where you can buy and sell discounted gift cards to places you shop. The gift card options seem limitless, and include Sephora, Zappos, and Nordstrom. Raise.com recently reached out to me about “Closet Swap,” a summer inspiration series that they are hosting (swapping out your closet for summer – get it?), and this is my contribution! With gift cards purchased at a discount and my penchant for only buying things on sale, this $1000 wish list for summer would cost even less – perfect.
- Alice and Olivia AIR Striped Tee Dress, $165 – Perfect French summer style
- Kate Spade Perforated Crossbody Bag, $248 – Hands-free and bright for summer
- Louise et Cie Leather Wedges, $129 – At just over 3 inches, these aren’t too tall for everyday
- Maison Scotch Botanical Print Scarf, $46 – A little foray into the summer floral trend
- Soft Joie Circei Dress, $128 – Love the color, and this would be great for work
- Kendra Scott Rayne Necklace, $80 – Yes, this one is still on my wish list
- Baublebar Cairo Ear Jackets, $28 – Currently waitlisted, but hoping these are back in stock soon
- Rag & Bone High Rise Skinny Jeans, $180 – Apparently Rag & Bones jeans are the best ever
- Total: $1,004
- Thinking I might try a lob (long bob) for summer. I’m especially loving Kate Mara’s. (byrdie.com)
- The Pizza Cake Recipe – I definitely need to try this. (sogoodblog.com)
- One of my favorite apps, Postmates, is now in Austin and I couldn’t be happier. Get literally anything delivered in less than an hour. If you’re new to Postmates, you can receive $10 credit when you sign up with code zolnoski. (postmates.com)
- Why American Express Wants to Kill Credit Cards (wired.com)
- Men’s Illustrated Guide to Buying Flowers – very funny. (buzzfeed.com)
- 17 Books to Read Before the Movie Hits Theatres This Year – I’m currently reading This Is Where I Leave You. (hellogiggles.com)